Soup season is almost here!! I love soups, and it makes great dinner in a cold winter day. (Not that it's ever cold here in LA lol) This recipe is adapted from pioneer woman, and I made very slight changes. This is one of my favorite soups! It is great because I can make a big pot of it without the pasta on Sunday, and I add cooked pasta to the soup during the week for dinner! Super yummy, convenient yet nutritious and healthy dinner!
1 box Ditalini Pasta (Or something similar like penne, macaroni, etc)
1 Family Chicken Pack from Trader Joe's (it has 2 breasts and 4 drumsticks) or equivalent
1 Onion, Diced
2 Green Bell Peppers, Diced
2 Stalks Celery, Diced
2 Jalapenos, Diced
4 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Box Mini Heirloom Tomatoes from TJ or equivalent, Diced
4 Pearl Tomatoes/ 3 Beefsteak Tomatoes, Diced
4 Tbsp Fresh Oregano, Minced
1.5 Cups Heavy Cream
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Boil the chicken in water for 2 hours to make around 8 Cups of chicken stock. (Trust me, it tastes so much better! But you can use store-bought chicken stock if you don't have time)
2. Skim the Oil from the stock, set aside.
3. Shred the chicken after boiling. The meat should come right off.
4. Cook the pasta in a pot, drain and set aside.
5. In a skillet, add 3 Tbsp of olive oil and oregano, stir for a minute, set aside the herbal oil.
6. Saute onion, green pepper, celery and jalapenos in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until tender.
7. Add Tomato, shredded chicken, and stir for a couple minutes.
8. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Add the chicken broth, and bring it to a boil.
10. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
11. Add the oregano oil, cream and cooked pasta into the soup.
12. Stir to combine.